Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links Router Flashed To DD-WRT

Had a friend take Links router , wrt 54 gl ( v.2 ) an did a couple of flashes to it ( from dd-wrt site ) an increased the ram and useing it for testing and is doing Very well . This also has a repeat me in it to choose from , for those who know . . Anybody else testing with a router flashed to dd-wrt ? Share with others with your model an how its working for you ! HappyTesting ,

Too many models to list, and sold quite a few also. Belkin F7D3302 is my main wrt right now, with my storage hdd and printer working off it.

Missind Link , Hay how fluent are you with dd-wrt ? I m try n to get more range . I have an antenna i purchased off line with custom cable and end fittings and i think it was the TX range was defualted at 51 and changed to 200. Any other info that would help . Thanks in advance

Know a little about them. How far you trying to go and have you tried using 2- one at each end?

First thing to mention is that the cable loses signal dramatically, so a 3 meter (9 foot) cable will usually lose the gain you'd get from a larger antenna. Also, wifi is subject to gravity- believe it or not. So if going a long distance the antenna should be mounted eye level instead of on a table. Depending on your setup, and distance you're trying to push, I would start at 71 and increase at intervals to see if it helps. I've had situations where moving the antenna up/down a little helps with signal strength too.

,,,,,,,,,,,,Try n to get about 1,000 feet . The site that sold us the antanna also made the cable 15 foot long . We also purchased extra ends and cable . I was going to try an build a " poor man's antenna from a old d*rect tv dish . I have a 4"x 10" sheet of copper tobe used as a collector but i lost the how to do's and when I was looking at the instructions i got a little lost on when you would bend the " bow-tie " an return back to the cable , it looked like it was coming from the center of cable , make the bends , drill a hole thru the collector plate an back to the ground ( the outer part of the cable ) . Making me think that its goin from hot to cold ( pos to neg ) and was worried that it would short out the router , an no , I only had the cable connected to the right antenna , if you were looking at the router . The site bought antenna is mounted on a tri pod that was used for a camera . Ya , 1,000 feet would be nice .

I never modded or made a pan antenna but do know what you're referring to. My concern with those is aiming- with a reflector pan and directional aiming it could be difficult to know if you're aimed for best signal. I have also read of using a usb wireless adapters instead of the bowtie to put the pickup in the right place. A short usb cable or a long one with an amp will lose no signal compared to mini-coax.

If I were doing your project, I would use a couple routers, a couple yagi antennas, a laser pointer, and a couple plastic shoeboxes (only if your situation is so you cannot place the router inside or under a roof). Yagi antennas form a waveguide to amp signal- same principal as the cantanna in basics. Most come with @ a foot of coax (since there is where most loss happens) and aiming them is as simple as using a laserpointer taped to the mast. A router at both ends will help dramatically because they will pickup and send signal far better than most pc/laptop adapters.

There's many different thoughts and ideas for adding distance, but yagi and a couple good routers loaded with wrt is my thoughts for simplicity. If you look at fleabay and have a week or two to wait you can get a couple yagis cheap- but they come from overseas.

Almost forgot to ask- is the distance un-obstructed? Clear line of sight is half the battle because signal tends to bounce or distort when it hits buildings or foliage.

We have a usb wireless card but the router I have doesnt have a usb plug . I ve seem a router that have's a usb plug in it but dont know if it would support wrt an if it did would the usb wireless card work do what needs tobe done , repeat . Could try an do as you mention above an put another router outside . I would like to try possibley using a inverter an see if it would push ? Open for input on maybe try n to go with the power supply using the inverter and then really dont know how long the 12 volt bat would last without having to need a jump in the A.M. ? Or just get the same router an put wrt on it an dont even use the card . If I was to purchase the Yagi antenna , can the seller custom build the cable to fit the router ? The cable I purchased with first antenna wasnt a common coax cable , it's larger ( forget what exactly what the # is an what it was called , but was for what needed tobe used . ) It had an end that screwed into there antenna an at the other end , fit the Links router . Any other info on possible using a router with usb plug that supports wrt for the card ( model # and ver. ) or without using the card an just go with 2 routers ? Open for suggestion , combinations .. Not in any hurry , that in advance , Peace and Happy Testing

The usb method was to be using a pc, sorry for not mentioning it in more detail. Either to send or receive signal.

Your linksys used a specialized antenna connection but they do make an adapter that will convert it to standard. They're not too expensive and the newer coax ends will screw right on. Another router outside will really eat up batteries if you use an older linksys but they do make portable and lower demand routers- even pocket repeaters. Granted, those little pocket routers are built much cheaper but if power is less.

If your second location doesn't have electric handy though- how was you going to set the internet up there? The pan antenna would direct signal to a small area, and without a device needing internet there it would make little sense? If you have electric I would simply plug the router in and mount the antenna on the side of the building.

Hope I dont offend , " No Rules " ,, An interesting read .Is this okay ? . xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ,, ,,, This will give you an idea ,,,
    Last edited by Sammy; 03-29-2013 at 02:56 PM.

My apologies to this site and the administrator on the above reply , I guess we cannot put a link to anothers web site so I hope this way is more acceptable . For those who did not get to see were the above link took you to and the administrator ,, XXXXXX it out, try this . Go to google an type in > sonicview guide use a linksys < and at the top of the page is were the interesting read is . When the start of the reading , it mentions , , dont crucify me , , your on the right read . If anyone is willing to flash there router , providing that it can be by going to XX-wrt site an seeing if your router can be ( do at yout own risk , without bricking ) . If you do , my advise is to do your reading and when the flash is done , let the unit re-boot on it's own . If time serve's me right , , interrupting the end of the flash could brick the router then you ll have alot more reading todo . Lets try and keep this post active an post your experience and for those that already have the router flashed , let us know what model an ver you have an how it's working for you or start a tread on your working router . Happy Testing and Good Luck
    Last edited by mean1; 03-30-2013 at 03:10 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast