guide for dial up and wireless

this is the simple way to set up the Nfusion Phoenix on XP with dial-up and wireless, without having to buy wireless bridges.

First go into Internet Explorer, tools, internet options, connections and make sure “never dial a connection’ is checked and click apply, then go into “Lan settings” near the bottom of the box and click it. In that section make sure everything is unchecked and click ok. Near the top of the connection box where it says “Dial-up and virtual private network settings” highlight the dial-up if you are using that and then click the settings box. Make sure all boxes in the window that opens are unchecked. Leave the stuff in “Dial-up settings at the bottom alone (this is just your dialup login and password).

Next you will go to the “network setup wizard” in the control panel. To get there click “Start”, control panel, then network setup wizard. In the next 2 windows click next. In the next window click ignore disconnected network hardware then click next. In the next window click the top statement “this computer connects directly to the internet. The other computers on my network connect to the internet through this computer” and then click next.

In the next window you will choose the connection you are using for internet access (wireless or dial-up) then click next. In the next window you will pick your net adapter as the connection you want to make a bridge to, if there is another one checked just leave it, (on my pc I have my 1394 net adapter and my local area connection both checked) click next. On the next 2 windows click next. The next window click enable file and printer sharing and click next. Click next on the next window which should show the connection your pc is using, internet connection sharing is enabled and the Windows firewall is enabled.

Hook an Ethernet crossover cable between your pc’s Ethernet port and the Ethernet port on the back of your Nfusion box, (a straight cable will not work, also make sure it is not a null modem cable or the cable that came with your Nfusion box). What you have now accomplished is to create a virtual bridge between your dial-up/wireless and your Ethernet card.

Now go into your main menu on you Nfusion box and click internet, go into network information and put it on static then exit out of this window and shut the box off with the remote and back on. If you have dialup the Nfusion box will communicate with the pc and dial the internet if you are not already connected. If it doesn’t connect shut the box off and back on again with the remote.

If you are done watching TV make sure you shut your box off with the remote and disconnect your connection or it will reconnect on your dialup and tie up your phone line. Everytime you turn your Nfusion on it will automatically communicate with your pc and establish a dial-up connection.

Contrary to popular belief the dial-up gives you the same quality viewing as a DSL connection. It is not slow, pixilated and does not freeze anymore than on DSL. I picked a crossover cable up at the Dollar Store for $3 and it was 15 ft long and works great.