Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    IKS66 Junior Member

New Issue for DEAD UNIT

hello all. I have discoverd a new issue for these dead units. we have already heard of the dreaded blue light problem. i have since discoverd the issue with regards to the units having the display go funny and the boxes freezing up alot and having to do hard reboots.

most recently i had the issue of the display going all chinese on me with all kinds of symbols instead of showing the channel name and number.

eventually i could not even change channels then it got to the point the box no longer even turned on.

I attempted a hard rebbot from the back switch and the box had no power to it at all.

I had changed the C10 capacitor for the blue light problem already and knew it to be fine. I thought my box was finally dead.
    It turns out that a new problem has arisen for this unit and for ****s and giggles (and its always ****s and giggles until someone finally giggles and ****s) I opened the box up and upon inspection discoverd the new issue.

It would appear the C2 capacitor had also popped causing no power to the unit at all not even the blue light would come on. (yes i said C2 capacitor NOT C10 this time)

I decided again for ****s and giggles as i had nothing to lose at this point to change this capacitor. well low and behold this worked. the box has now come back to life and is working better then ever. it is booting up faster and the chinese writing (all types of stars and symbols) on the display is now gone.

The C2 Capacitor is suppose to be the same as the C10 voltage and ohms wise. after speaking to an electrician on the matter i was informed the voltage does not matter at all and you can place a new one in of any voltage higher then it had and it will run fine and in fact will run faster then before (kind of like over clocking the CPU on your computer). He did however explain that the OHMS is the most important factor that must match. the OHMS for this is supposed to be 4700 the same as the C10.

Both of these capacitors are called for 10 volt 4700 OHMS. i replaced it with a 16 volt 4700 ohms and it has never worked better.

so there we have it folks if you got the symbols and chinese like display it could be an indication that the C2 capacitor is on the way out and you may wish to change it before it happens.

again i did this as i had nothing to lose as the box was dead anyways and i do not by any means say this will be the issue for everyone but it turned out to be the issue for me. please everyone use this info at your own discretion the same as you would use any files. but if you have a dead box with nothing to lose changing this capacitor like i have is certainly not going to hurt it any as you are at worst case scenario wasting 10 minutes of your time changing a capacititor that was still good for a brand new one that is good anyways. so nothing is lost or damaged by doing so. you will know if it worked because when you turn it on the box will load.

this info should not be confused with the blue light issue as i said above the blue light issue happend to me also and i had changed the C10 capacitor and the box worked again. this time a new capacitor went and gave a new issue that i dont believe we have seen or been posted here before yet

I hope this info is helpful to others.

P.S. IF A MOD COULD MAKE THIS A STICKY IT MAY BE GREAT TO HELP OTHERS WITH.

Super Moderator
    thnx VinnieVega
    Nice work !
    IKS66.com #1 IKS Private Server

-simple truth, rule #53
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

IKS66 Junior Member
    Just want to point out that Capacitors are not rated in ohms but in micro farad.

IKS66 Junior Member
    Ohms is a measurement of impedance for resistors. Farads is the measurement for capacitance. In general, capacitors are rated in the micro's of farads. Using a slightly higher voltage rated capacitor is generally OK but there actually is a difference. The higher voltage rated capacitors will generally be larger in size and may constrain you on how it can be installed. It will have a different ESR rating. For switching power supplies, it could be crucial as it could impact the level of switching noise filtering the circuit.

If it were me, I would look for a replacement cap of the same voltage and capacitance (and same ESR if you're advanced enough). However, I would try to find a part that has a higher temperature rating to improve it's longevity (at least something rated at 105C ).

IKS66 Junior Member
    Well we are getting closer, resistance is the unit of measure for resistors and impedance is the unit of measure for inductors. Nice work always look for bulging caps which is a clear sign that they are dead. Don't throw away that dead flat screen panel without checking the power supply caps. Without a backlight panels appear dead.