Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    IKS66 Junior Member

HDD - Hard Disc Drive

What is a good HD external hard drive to use with the Dreamlink HD PVR capabilities?

Dreamlink Compatible Hard Drive List

I believe most of the hard drives works well with Dreamlink HD if we format it to FAT32. Below info is for dummies like me - who went through threads and threads to pick one...

Some Formatting methods that people normally using :

1. Acronis Disk Director - I used it on 1TB hard drive , took about 6-10 seconds for Formatting
    2. fat32formatter
    3. swissknife
    4. CMD from PC - but people mentioned it will take 3-4 hours for format it. I didnt check it personally
    5. Through Receiver (I dont think it will work for memory largers than 32GB)

Hard Drives People were using
    1. Seagate Portable Expansion 1 TB - Powered through USB ( Working well so far ) - me
    2. 1TB ext iomega - Poolshark User
    3. MyPassport WD 500G drive - CarpeD User
    4. ROCK 500GB - Gugi 47
    5. western digital 1tb drive - Nightowl6900 User

(sathyakamaraj)

Super Moderator
    Western Digital (My Passport) 1 TB formatted with swissknife and powered by USB, works well
    Also used an Ultra Speed 650 gig (which I think may be a seagate, don't know thou) with external power source and formatted thru the dreamliink receiver and that worked well too.
    IKS66.com #1 IKS Private Server

-simple truth, rule #53
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

IKS66 Junior Member
    Thanks for your help - much appreciated.

Let us know how you do Boozyany. Glad we could help you out

IKS66 Junior Member
    Well I tried a WD 1tb My Passport with USB and I am having the same problems I have had using a Lexar 32gb memory stick. All resources are Fat32 formatted. I tried to watch on delay as I am recording and after a few minutes it freezes up. Try to fast forward and all hell breaks loose. Noticed on various forums that many users have the same problems. Tried recording SD also, but same issues. I have no solutions at this time. Any suggestions?

Does the WD 1tb My Passport have a external power source you can plug in to? (do not know the specs of that drive)

I always have used Seagate or WD with external power sources and never had issues.

Basically i always keep it around 500gb, I buy and internal hard drive and buy the external case with a power source. Format it and never had issues.

Does the USB work loading files to your receiver?

Keep us posted.

IKS66 Junior Member
    The WD 1tb My Passport does not have an external power source. I am now using a WD My Essentials 500GB with an external source. I tried to record a movie and also tried to watch the movie on a delayed basis while the movie continued to record and it also froze after a few minutes. However, later I recorded a show and then watched the show after the recording was completed and did not have any problems with viewing. I tried this a second time and again had no problems. I am concluding at this time that the receiver is unable to properly handle recording and watching the recorded show on a delayed basis simultaneously. Does anyone else have this issue and is anyone aware of how to correct this issue?