PDA

View Full Version : Dana White pledges financial support to Boston Marathon bombing victims

chevy85
04-21-2013, 11:43 PM
Dana White pledges financial support to Boston Marathon bombing victims

SAN JOSE, Calif. – As a former Boston resident, Dana White admits it's a struggle for him to not talk about this past week's Boston Marathon bombings. But the UFC president is sure of one thing: He's going to try and do something to help those suffering.

"I have a hard time talking about this in public because if I really do talk about it, I'm going to come off like a psycho," White said at Saturday's post-UFC on FOX 7 press conference. "I've really limited talking about it, but I'm going to Boston on Saturday. After [UFC 159], I'm jumping on a plane and flying to Boston, and I'm actually going to go visit some people that were affected by this horrible event."

Boston, of course, has been at the center of the news universe in recent days after a pair of bombs exploded near the finish line of Monday's 2013 Boston Marathon, the 117th edition of the historic race.

The attacks injured 183 people and killed three others, including an 8-year-old boy. Many of those injured were left with missing or mangled limbs.

"The story that gets me is the mother that was crossing the finish line and the 8-year-old that was killed and the 6-year-old that lost her leg by a couple of f---ing cowards," White said.

White spent much of his youth in Boston and retains ties to the community. He has thus far largely declined to comment on the situation, each time holding back obvious emotions as he refuses to elaborate on his true feelings. Now he's committing financial support to those affected by the tragedy.

White said details of his plan are still being arranged, as his relief efforts aren't at the behest of any organization but rather a personal mission he feels compelled to address.

"I'm going to go to Boston and write some checks," White said. "I don't even know how I'm going to do it or what I'm going to do, but I'm going. I want to go. I'm going next weekend."

Featuring a light heavyweight title fight between current champ Jon Jones and top contender Chael Sonnen, UFC 159 takes place April 27 in Newark, N.J.