PDA

View Full Version : IPTV Beta Status report

egitan
03-31-2015, 05:38 PM
I'm well aware this is a BETA and I would like to start by mentioning that I'm definitively not complaining about the service, as a matter of fact I think the service is awesome however as I looked for this and was unable to find any status thread I decided to create one to provide a report on my experience.

First off my setup:
Internet: Cable Modem running a 10/2 connection, working well with good ping response and speed as advertised
Device: MAG 254

So the service is running very well pretty robust and all and although there are channels which fail to load the system is behaving well, I'm expecting with everything else going on there aint much time to go back and fix down channels every day:
Around 70% of Adult channels are on and off, the ones on are lagging badly - Impossible to watch
Music channels are up and running however they lag constantly - One can watch them but they are getting stuck
Movie channels were pretty much clear of issues however since yesterday I started noticing that FOX Latinamerica premium channels are lagging badly however the odd thing is it only happens after several minutes of watching (more than 2m)
entertainment is working well though to be honest I spend most my time with the movie channels so I haven't spent hours here
Video Club = Working like a charm

All in all the service is working like a charm however more and more I'm seeing dead channels and lag on them that makes them annoying to watch, I've been running statistics on my internet line while I get lag to ensure it's not me and I believe it's not, HBO and most USA English only channels work well at times when the other channels are lagging.

NOW: Note that I'm not requesting or expecting a FIX, I'm just reporting my findings that's all as I assume feedback over a beta is always welcome. Keep up the excellent work, you guys rock!!!!

one more point to note: I'm running 720P as 1080 was giving me awful rendering of image on my TV over HDMI however picture quality is not that awesome on some channels even if I run them on NTSC (any recommendation here on settings?)

PS. As a report on the MAG254 (though out of place here) excellent device, quick and well thought of whoever when it gets stuck (and it does get stuck) getting it back to life is a pain, I've had to do Fact Reset 3 times on 2 weeks and it takes several tries to get it back up, anyone running a configuration that makes this more stable?

mr.sky
04-01-2015, 01:43 AM
egitan, thanks for your post. I have not yet purchased a mag254. However, I am leaning towards real soon. As you mentioned the service is Beta and free.
Once they get all the kinks out, it should be awesome.

The Oracle
04-01-2015, 01:10 PM
Hi all,

I just want to add a few points... I think that the feedback it's appreciated, but let's keep in mind the service stills in Beta, therefore the stability might be up and down while the support team it's doing their tests, upgrades and changes... I think lately the team had being working on adding channels to the line up and probably this could be causing the down time we face sometimes, but in the end once all channels get added and the service it's officially launched we should get the stability we expect. Also let's keep in mind that being in an open Demo a LOT of people are using it (take a look at google and youtube for the ton's of tutorials using this demo) since it's free and at this point most likely the team haven't really added the production servers they will have once they launch the formal (paying service).

The best feedback that I can give is that the team it's working on a day to day basis, adding channels basically each day and making the necessary adjustments (see my post on channel list to see the details), therefore this is looking really good! Just at the beginning of this year we had 5 channels and today, 3 months later we have 412... that's a really good trend.

That being said, I think it's fair to give the feedback, but probably the support team will make the adjustments and then ask us to provide the feedback once they are ready to manage the server load with a subscriber based service.

On the other hand, I have seen the lags you mentioned, but got some of those by increasing the buffer size on the advance settings of the portal. You might want to try that...

Thanks to the team for the support and to all for the feedback, let's keep the topic alive!

egitan
04-01-2015, 06:43 PM
I fully agree with you, which is why I made a point of mentioning several times that I know is BETA and that Im not complaining nor expecting this to be fixed.. Just giving my $0.02 on whatever I can.. By the way thanks for the buffering Tips I did try that here and there and helps some however on channels that just seem to be overloaded it really just increases the time between lagging times end of the line I think there are 2 thing at play here (maybe 3):
a. Some channels -I think- are transmitting on different quality which would reflect different load on the line (more KB and all that)
b. Some are possibly overloaded with 2 many users watching which depending how this is set-up on the backend it might cause issues
c. My 10MB might not be sufficient

To explain Netflix for example caches and sends several streams from the same video and the system is designed to try next best till it reaches the best possible choice with your connection this allows you to stream with minimun requirements, this might not be the case at the moment with this IPTV service and may not be intended at all, also they have local and regional servers. Plus just considering everyone is using this its simply amazing that it works at all :D